Friday, May 6, 2011

The Weight Loss Roller Coaster

You know, sometimes losing weight can be frustrating. I know --- that's more of an obvious statement than a revelation, but I just had to say it. I'm not really discouraged, to be sure, but the anticipation of losing weight can sometimes be like waiting for ketchup to come out of a bottle, like in that old commerical (I hear the song now, "Ant-i-ci-pation...."

Anyway, here's the deal -- in April, I went on a spiritual fast at church. The fast wasn't about losing weight, but as a result, I lost 14.5 lbs in 3 weeks. You know, when you cut out processed foods, meat, dairy and all sweeteners (natural or otherwise) from your diet, you're bound to lose weight. It was pretty awesome. I completed a physical goal while meeting a spiritual one!

But, like I said, it wasn't about weight loss. SO.... when I returned to relative normality in my diet, I knew that I was bound to have a little bit of a "rebound". I gained 1.6 lbs in the week following Easter. Now, I have to admit - I splurged just a bit on Easter. I had a couple too many deviled eggs (I guess they're called "deviled" because they're SINFULLY delicious!), and maybe a little more than I should have of some other things. You know, I don't really regret it.

Anyway, I gained the 1.6 pounds. Ok, fine. At my size (341 currently), 1.6 lbs is relatively nothing. It's less than one percent of my total weight and less than 1/2 a percent of my total weight when I started this journey 10 months ago. Nothing. I wasn't worried at all.

However, I knew that this past week was a "reboot" for me. Time to get back on track. So I got it together, had a training session with Layne, my personal trainer, and got into the gym 3 times this week. I also tried my best to track my food, and stay within my Weight Watchers Daily Point Target each day this week.

My result? I lost 1.8lbs this week. Statistically, that's really like what I said about the 1.6 I gained. But here's the deal -- I "officially" reached that 140 lbs lost milestone. Today, I weigh 341 pounds, 140.0 pounds less than when I started on July 9th, 2010.

It's a new start.

So, to all of you who are reading this, and you're taking a ride on the Weight Loss Roller Coaster, don't worry -- as long as the end result is that you arrive at your destination without crashing and burning, then you're doing good. You might be just getting into the car for the first time, worried if you're going to like this ride...

Stay on -- the ride is worth it. Keep your eye on the prize and don't quit!

As for me, I'm staying on for the long haul! 140 pounds gone, and 140 to go. As for this next month, My immediate goal is to reach the 150 pound mark by Memorial Day, and 160 by July 9th, 2011!!

Blessings,
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Son,
    I cannot tell you with words, because there aren't any, how proud I am of you and how much I pray that the Lord gives you the strength to keep it up... You are my hero!
    I love you more than life...
    Mami

    ReplyDelete